Random Encounters in jRPG + "I play for story and development"

« Older   Newer »

1. Dastur

User deleted

Planesecape is philosofaggot bullshit that's probably well loved by people who also like blabbering on endlessly about 18th century gasbags like Nietzsche. Books are certainly a higher medium than video games as any sane person would tell you, but I find myself apathetic towards fiction. There's just far too much of it and if I wanted to be productive I'd much rather read about history or something like that anyway.

2. Topdrunkee

User deleted

www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Might_&_Magic_X_Legacy/index.html
    LOL this is exactly why you don't let Jrpg faggots review an oldschool styled Wrpg. He grades M&M X poorly for all of the wrong reasons such as story when he should be talking about the dungeon design and character classes. Basically talk about the game as if it were Dark Souls, because Dark Souls itself is heavily modelled after oldschool style wrpgs where all you do is fight, collect loot, and train to become stronger.
    I'm not sure anyone plays Might & Magic games for their narratives, but a game like this — one full of side quests, a decent amount of dialogue, a "Gossip" option, and lore and bestiary sections of the quest journal — ought to have intriguing lore. I grew bored of the opening story cinematic before it ended and everything about the game's story and lore is as basic and hackneyed as any thoughtless fantasy.

The M&M series is actually Fantasy Sci Fi, but since he's a Jrpg faggot the sci fi thematics of M&M were prolly way too subtle for him to notice, lol.
    One thing I will criticize is that M&M X looks fucking dated.
    Video
    6 through 9 were already using Doom style 3d movement, but X went back to pre 6 grid movement. The end result is that the battles aren't anywhere near as insane as the later games. In the later games it was common for you to be fighting up to 300 enemies at the same time.
    While the earlier games could have an enemy count that's as high it didn't feel as hectic, because the monsters in the background couldn't attack you until they got in range. They can't get in range until you killed the monsters in front of you first. The later games felt more like Doom, you see hundreds of enemies and that's exactly what you're fighting.

Anyway you really can't trust Jrpg faggots to grade anything properly. I love Tales of... games, but I have no idea what the fuck they're thinking giving Graces F & Xillia a score of 95+.
    www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Tales_of_Xillia/index.html
    Graces f barely merits an 80 (Shit I'd only score it that high coz BoA did the theme song, lol.), and Xillia is only 85% at best. Tales of Vesperia was the last tales game that truly is a 95+, because it basically followed the model that Final Fantasy VII popularized. Graces F was just narrow corridors like FF XIII and Xillia was just a series of connected maps like FF X & FF XII. The hillarious part is that even FF X has way better gfx than Xillia.
    The only thing good about Xillia is the combat. Everything else about it sucks and I have a hard time staying interested in Xillia due to how the combat is the only top tier thing about it. Even the dungeon design sucks ass, lol.
    Planesecape is philosofaggot bullshit that's probably well loved by people who also like blabbering on endlessly about 18th century gasbags like Nietzsche.

One thing that Planescape wasn't was Nietzschean. Planescape follows more of a Socrates-like hey let's sit around asking a bunch of dumbass questions that do nothing but piss people off, because the questions are so fucking stupid and mundane. Instead of "God is dead." Planescape is more like, "what is god?" "Moreover who is god and what makes god, god?" It's like shut the fuck up. Give me a game where you control a band of degenerates killing off "god's morals" anyday over some annoying bullshit where some muscle bound zombie questions his pointless existence over & over.

3. Dr. Aspergers McPaleodiet

User deleted

To be honest, you see the same thing with WRPGfans. The Fallout/Obsidiot crowd seems to think the defining moment of what makes an RPG is how much dialogue choices you get.

4. InfernalGrape

User deleted

Oh, because it's "TEH ROLEPLAYING!", you can act as transsexual dwarf-thief who studied chemistry in elven forest

5. Topdrunkee

User deleted

QUOTE (Dr. Aspergers McPaleodiet @ 4/2/2014, 20:14) 
    To be honest, you see the same thing with WRPGfans. The Fallout/Obsidiot crowd seems to think the defining moment of what makes an RPG is how much dialogue choices you get.

Western fans are worse in that regard, because they actively hate on all Diablo-likes while they cuddle their Fallout because of their oh so precious dialogue. It's funny, because the fact that Diablo has so many clones should be enough to clue a person that Diablo is massively more popular & influential than Failout.
    It's amusing coz it seems as if they actually hate playing videogames so they prize games where you waste the majority of your time doing nothing but read.

AN interesting note is that the guy who wrote New Vegas also wrote Planescape Torment. I actually like New Vegas's writing though. It's like Nocturne, it's just a war of factions, but New Vegas is about battle for resources while Nocturne was about bullshit philosophy. (The vying philosophies in SMT 3 are so lame that it gives you all the more reason to side with Lucifer and destroy all humans.)

6. Isuka

User deleted

By the way has any one here played "Namco X Capcom" or "Project X Zone"? If so, what's it like? I've seen videos of them, but they are just showing the special attacks the most of the time.

I think it's like Super Robot Wars Original Generation and I have one of the games from that series, so if it's any thing like that I guess it shouldn't be too bad.

7. chat4

User deleted

Hookup Girls Uses Totally free Matters? A Fantastic Side to side Advantage!

Cost-free hookup ladies chat on the internet is the best solution if you're
    fed up with gonna bars and groups merely to be ignored, as well as more serious, laughed at.
    I know what it's like because I've been there. I had been one and eager in the day time --
    I essential a new companion -- but I continued striving because I needed not one
    other selection. If you're one particular man who wants to hookup with
    alluring females without going to those areas the location where the girls are on your own,
    then this report might just improve your existence.
    It would describe why dating on the internet is the perfect alternative if you're a male who seems to be shy to strategy a
    wonderful female inside a nightclub or group.

21 replies since 12/1/2014, 18:39   1400 views